Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Christmas....in September


One of my favorite lessons during the beginning of the year is about treating books carefully like your favorite Christmas ornament.  I start off by telling kids about the "Baby's 1st Christmas" ornaments my brother and I had.  Then share the horrific story of how we were playing I-Spy and the hidden object was hidden in the tree.  During the fight over who found the toy first, my brother's "Baby's 1st Christmas" ornament fell off the tree and shattered.  No matter how hard my mom tried that ornament wasn't going back together.  I then give kids time to talk with a partner about what their favorite Christmas tree ornament is and then tie the whole story to our classroom books.  We want them to last for lots of people to read, not just this class but many classes to come.  This week students have been designing a Christmas ornament that has a tip for readers who want to keep their books as nice as their favorite ornament!



Happy Tuesday,

1 comment:

  1. That's a great connection and chance to think of tips too. I tell my kids we treat books like we treat babies. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete