Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saturday Saying

Saturday sayings is one of my top ten Saturday events.  Each quote inspires me in some way to make changes to my teaching.  So I am excited to share some inspiration with all of you.
This quote has been percolating with me for a while.  With my giant class talking is happening constantly.  It isn't quiet....but after making myself sit and just listen for a few minutes, I realized a few things-
1)  They weren't off-task.  Whether they were talking about what they were working on, talking about Mine Craft (whatever that is!), talking about One Direction, or a whole plethora of other things....they were continuing to do their work.
2)  Students need to talk.  It helps solidify what they are learning on or working through.  Every time I finish a book, or if I am in the middle of a great one, I want to share all about it.  What I loved, why you should read it too, why I chose it....Students want and probably need to do the same with their own reading lives.

Obviously, there are times when talking needs to be at a minimum, but the room is roaring, sometimes I just need drift along with it.

Go see Tammy @ Forever in First for more inspirations!
Happy Saturday,

5 comments:

  1. Laurie, that's a great reminder. Silence isn't always golden. Thank you for enjoying Saturday Sayings and wanting to contribute your own. I'm so glad you did!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote! Our expectations are important when we determine what learning sounds like. I expect a balanced literacy classroom to hum. It should be quiet enough for others to read and learn, of course.
    LiteracyMinute

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quotes. Thanks for sharing this one. I am quite a chatty person myself. Conversation is huge in learning. My goal is to help teachers make learning more authentic. So just like you said, when i read, write, or see something that inspires me or I just like it, I want to share it. That's what our students need to be doing... sharing what they are reading and writing. Having conversations about how they figured out a math problem or tried to figure out one, etc. This is a great reminder. Thanks so much! :)
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  4. In some classes silence isn't golden, but fear! If (when!) you put a group of teachers in a room it isn't quiet. Hopefully the talk is filled with excitement, experience and encouragement the same thing that I think we are hearing in the murmuring of our students. If the environment is right so is the humming! I love Saturday Sayings.
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as they're working I don't mind chatting either. The only time it really makes me crazy is during our independent reading;). Talk is good!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete