Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Stacks

For 30 minutes each day all of our 2nd and 3rd graders go to Reading Round-Up.  For some students this is their intervention time.  Students who have met their reading benchmarks, go to groups working on challenging their reading skills.  During this time, I have the highest group of readers and we did some looking back on our reading lives last week.

Students wrote down their favorite or most memorable five books and turned them into poetry.  Then they used Sharpie to write them on rectangle shaped pieces of paper.  Next we looked at different ways we wanted to organize them...alphabetically...by size...a pattern...by favorite...etc.   They turned out great and has become one of my favorite lessons, this year.  Some of us even used appropriate punctuation :-)



Have a wonderful week,
Happy Sunday,

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of your reading round-up. I wish we had something like that at my school. Your activity is great...what an awesome way to get kids thinking about their past success with reading. I am going to pin this great idea..thanks for sharing!

    Kathy O.
    Third Grade Doodles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea! I will have to do this with my third graders. We just completed our study of Series Book Clubs, and maybe we could do a class poem with the titles they read.

    Thanks!
    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to see how you celebrate their reading lives!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete