Sunday, November 4, 2012

Currently November

Oh' Boy November, ready go!
Listening:  Many Portlanders complain about the never ending rain, but I love it...the sound...the smell...liquid sunshine!
Loving:  The Syfy channel has gathered the cast of Fireflyfor a 10th Anniversary...sneak peek
Thinking:  For about a year, I have been feeling bothered by the clip chart system.  I had a light bulb moment about how I never wanted to be a teacher who wrote names and checks on the chalkboard and on some levels the clip chart does the same thing in a different way.  So the past two weeks, I have been working on only moving student clips up.  Six students still need some behavior support and I am still working through what I want that to look like.  But I have not been moving clips down.  Any thoughts or comments you all have are super appreciated.
Wanting:  What is this Minecraft business?  It is the main subject of conversations and student writing!
Needing:  Last Tuesday, I got a new student.  The Friday before that a student moved and Monday another student is coming...so I need to update the classroom and add/delete their names from the room.  Do you have ways to make getting ready for new students easier?  I keep everything I need in a big zip-loc bag.
Music:  This one is my favorite part.  I love music!  I play the flute and my kids know that, so we often listen to James Galway.  I have another student who plays cello and a few who play piano, so I like to incorporate those instruments as well.  My favorite cd to listen to during reading, writing, and art is Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone....beautiful stuff! 
Your turn.  Check out everyone else's November and start a classroom playlist of ideas!  And don't forget the rule of three!

Happy Sunday,

5 comments:

  1. Awesome to meet a fellow Browncoat! Thanks for the heads up about the Firefly reunion - I didn't know! Exciting!

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I have been so far behind on blog stalking that I missed your new design. TOTALLY LOVE IT!!! =) I also use the big bags to prepare for new students.

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like it a lot:-) Glad you are back.

      Delete
  3. Oh! We must be kindred spirits. BROWNCOATS! That is still my most favorite what ... 10 seconds of Castle? When he's back in Malcom gear? *must go find my DVDs*
    PS I used to live in WA state so I know what you mean. The gray is actually kind of nice. I love the sound of rain on the window.
    PSPS I do not remember where I first learned about Joshua Radin. But whereever it was I'm glad. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. My own children tell me that Minecraft is like trying to survive in a Lego world. It is something all three of them agree on as being pretty awesome! I like clip charts for the first couple of months, but I feel like it loses its effectiveness over time!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete