Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Summer Recap

Peterson's Pad is having a sad summer linky party. 

Directions:  Share 4 things about your summer!

1.  A Place I Visited:
I visited Seattle to watch all three of the interleague play between them and the Dodgers (I know I have mentioned this numerous times, but it will be one of the best weekends.  Ever!)  Seattle threw a no-hitter, using six pitchers.  I watched history.....a no-hitter in person!  Saturday, Kershaw pitched a great game and I saw (in person) Ethier hit a grand slam! 
Baseball dork that I am....my dad taught me how to keep score.
2.  A Book I Read
How to pick a book from the 52 I have now read.  (I challenge my students to read a book and day and try to do the same)  I think I am going to make it.....Anyhow, I have a lot to choose from!  My favorite was For Darkness Sees the Stars a dystopian version of Jane Austen's Persuasion.  Also read and LOVED One and Only Ivan.  I am fairly certain it will be my first read aloud.
3.  Something you did or made for your school class
I have wanted to fix my popsicle stick jar for a while. When I first started teaching, I had to jars....one for those who have been chosen and the one for those who had not.  Then I thought I could just use one jar and flip the popsicle sticks.  Only somehow they were always getting mixed up.  Last year I thought, I will paint the ends of one side.  Then I will know when everyone has had a turn.  Well that actually helped, but then I could never remember if I was pulling sticks that were paint side up or paint side down.  I think I have finally solved all my problems:-)  
Step One:  Paint one end of the sticks.  I just dipped them in cup of tempera paint and then they dry.

Step 2:  Write names on popsicle stick.  (I will be waiting for this step until first day gets closer.)  I also write the name as close to the middle as possible, so it is harder to read the name when kids are pulling them out. 
Step 3:  Label the two buckets.  I keep one with calendar so everyone helps out and one for writing, so everyone shares.
Step 4:  (Here is my lightbulb moment)  I attached a velcro dot to the jar.
Step 5:  Put other piece of velcro on a painted stick.   Now the popsicle sticks can go both directions.
Step 6:  Match the popsicle on the front to the ones in the jar.  If popsicle stick is paint side up, then I pull paint side up sticks and vice versa. 
4.  A fun thing you did
source
While at my aunt's (when I wasn't in the pool) we decided to try and make our own cute bobby pins.  I found some ideas on Pinterest (of course) and adapted our versions as we went along.
source
Here is how some of ours turned out.  We just used felt, buttons, and beads.
Your turn.....go link up and recap your summer!
Happy Tuesday, 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up Laurie. I haven't heard of One and Only Ivan. It sounds great. Love the popsicle idea.
    Sheree Peterson
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also haven't heard of the Ivan book (putting it on hold now). Love the bobby pins-so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your share and pick me sticks. what a grea idea. I am your newest follower. I would love for you to check out my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sad linky...I don't know if I can bring myself to do it! I've seen the One and Only Ivan on a lot of people's blogs...Must be good. Love the painted pick sticks. I keep mine in my apron pocket, but forget which pocket I'm supposed to pick from...I try to use it in my comedy routine!!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a sad linky, but it looks like you had a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to check out those books! I love your pins you made. So cute!!! Your pick me sticks are great as well. I finally made some this summer too. My old ones were so boring. Have a Great year!

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete