Sunday, May 6, 2012

Story Sunday

While we are in the middle of a unit on birds and focusing on reading and writing non-fiction, it is important to remember that many great fiction texts help teach us facts as well.  Here are some reading plans for this week.

First of all, we just finished a chapter book, and will be starting Poppy.  Hopefully we finish before school ends...otherwise it may be a sought after check out at the library.  This is one of my favorite books to read aloud. It has some topics that get students thinking and will also teach us about the behavior of owls.  Many times, after finishing, students rush to check out the other books in the series.  Poppy is the second of the series, but not reading the first one, doesn't seem to affect the storyline. 

We will also be reading some picture books:  Albert by Donna Jo Napoli, Pie in the Sky and Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert.



And the one I am most looking forward to.....The Longest Night....the star of the book is a Chickadee whose song has to wake the sun.  My chickadees are going to love it:-)
Happy Sunday,
 ...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these books! I love to know what I should buy next! I love the books by Lois Ehlert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they are going to love the Chickadee one.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Poppy! Such a great story. Never hear of Albert. I will have to check that one out!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Poppy to my own children...We loved it! So many books, so little time! I've got to look for The Longest Night. Anything with a bird in it belongs on my shelf!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete