Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Reading Linky x 2 + Freebie

Do you know about the Book A Day Challenge?  Here are the guidelines:
The rules (more guidelines, really) are simple:
Read one book per day for each day of summer vacation. This is an average, so if you read three books one day (Hey, I have done this!) and none the next two, it still counts.
You set your own start date and end date.
Any book qualifies including picture books, nonfiction, professional books, poetry anthologies, or fiction--children's, youth, or adult titles.  (Somedays, I feel like blog reader could be added to the count.)
Keep a list of the books you read and share them often via a social networking site like goodreads or Twitter (post using the #bookaday hashtag), a blog, or Facebook page. You do not have to post reviews, but you can if you wish. Titles will do.
Donalyn Miller (of The Book Whisperer fame) started the challenge here four years ago.  I have managed to do it the past two summers (although I wasn't blogging then) and feel so accomplished when August ends.  Now that you are on the up and up with the Book a Day Challenge, here are some linky parties to get your reading started.
There are FEW things I love more than reading, so linky parties involving books make my heart happy.  So imagine my excitement when I hear about two different book inspired linky parties!  The first one is at Mrs. Stanford's Class.  Her linky party is all about summer reading plans...which everyone needs.  Here are some of mine.
1.)  One of my goals this year was to read a piece of "classic" literature.  I am a huge reader, but apparently I avoid this genre.  So Northanger Abbey is on the top of my summer reading list.

2.) On my bucket list is to read all the books on the Newbery Award Poster.  I plan on reading a few from that list.

3.)  I have been wanting to reread Christy for a long while....this summer seems like a great time to make it happen.   Last time I read it, I think I was in high school.


4.)  A long list of YA reads:
Rampant, Partials, Pandemonium, Glow, Halo, Ascendant (this series is about Unicorns....not the happy-rainbow kind!), Pure...I am sure there will be more.


I could very easily go on and on listing books.  Join the party...I am needing some adult reading to round out my summer list.  The Best Endings is also a great place to gather book suggestions!

Onto the next linky over at Run! Miss Nelson's Go the Camera  This one is all about classroom read alouds.  Another hard thing to decide...but here are two picture books I always read.  Teammates is one I read at the beginning of the year and talk about community and working together.  Thank You, Mr. Falker is another great read aloud, especially for kiddos who need some encouragement not to give up.  


My favorite chapter book read aloud is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.  There are not words for how much I love this book.  Kids connect with it and so much can be drawn out of the story. 
Congrats!  You finally made it to the end of this post....so I leave you with a freebie.  Last year, I challenged my students to read the summer book a day challenge.  Here is the letter I sent home explaining and encouraging them to be summer readers.  
Add some cute clipart...I deleted the images, because I don't know the rules about using pics from google images:-)


Happy Wednesday,
 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up. I'm your newest follower. Love your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up!!! Btw. Thank you, Mr. Falker is a favorite of mine!!

    Jessica stanford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always makes me cry. My supervising teacher gave it to me when I finished student teaching.

      Delete
  3. I love Edward Tulane as well! I find it's a great book to challenge the kiddos with--very deep themes. I'm actually probably an aberration in teachers-I really don't like to read (I don't tell the kids that). I did when I was younger but I guess I read so much for work, it's just not fun for me. I force myself to do it because of course I want to grow as a teacher-but I really admire those who could read a book a day! I'm lucky if I read about 3 the entire summer! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad! I do understand though, one of my teaching buddies is the same way.

      Delete
  4. I love Jane Austen. I've never read that one though. I hope you enjoy it.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog through Jessica's linky and I'm your newest follower! I'm so glad to find more blogs of 2nd grade teachers :) I'm a lot like you... I love reading and will reading ALMOST anything, but avoid the classics :/ I'm going to look into your read alouds... I've never heard of the first two, but they sound great!
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete